Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Curling Wand...Worth Every Penny

Pinterest strikes again! I have been seeing hair like this all Summer and I have been foaming at the mouth to get curls like these.


 I have the ombre coloring in my hair  and my awesome hair stylist told me "it looks way better when its curled".....to which I agreed. Now, I have naturally curly hair.....
....but I don't like to always have the curls close to the root of my hair because it looks huge and unruly. So, I have been trying to supplement with a curling iron and it has not been cutting it. I had previously seen the Remington T- Studio Ceramic Curling Wand at Target and did not get it when I saw the goofy glove that needed to be worn.....but I should have known that this was the magic tool that would change curling my hair as I knew it!

While shopping for my brother who is going off to college, my mother who is such a generous woman, picked one of these wands up for me at Khol's. 

I was disappointed to see that there were no instructions on how to use the wand in the box. There was a pamphlet on the buttons, functions, parts, and setting the temperature, but it would have been nice to include some basics. I like that it heats up to 410 degrees, it has a temperature lock feature, the wand is coated with this awesome pearl finish and my hair slid right off of it,  and the glove fit perfectly.

Basics I learned by trial and error:
  • Always have the smaller end of the wand pointing down
  • You will get a different type of curl if you twist your hair and wrap it around the wand or if you wrap your hair flat around the wand (like you would a curling iron)
  • The larger the section of hair you wrap around the wand, the looser the curl. The smaller the section of hair, the tighter the curl.
  • You need to wrap the very end of your hair around the wand, if you don't it sticks out and looks funny. If you wrap the end of your hair around the very tip, it will be tight but if you wrap the end of your hair around the larger part of the wand it looks more natural
  • It only takes a few seconds to get the curl, so don't hold your hair on there like you would a curling iron because the wand is much hotter
  • You can use the wand to straighten your bangs. Hold your bangs out straight and just run the wand along the hair. This keeps your bangs from getting that stick-straight look that happens with flat irons.

I have not burned myself yet, however you still have to be careful with the glove on and holding the end of your hair on the barrel. Also, the coating on the wand is awesome, but it can be a bit difficult to get your hair to wrap around the wand evenly and not slide to the smaller end. This takes a bit of practice. Using the skinnier wand my hair ended up having very tight curls which when separated made my hair get very big. I had to spray them with my sea salt texturizing spray to get them to relax and it looked wonderful. I received a ton of compliments that day and wish I had remembered to take a picture! I really love this spray. I found it at CVS, for under $10, and you can find it on drugstore.com. It smells like coconuts, and definitely gives you that beachy hair!






On a more recent visit to Target, I picked up the larger size wand so I could achieve a looser curl. My mother graciously allowed me to try it on her hair and I was able to get some pictures of the end result!
Here is my mommy's hair before we got started. I took some gel and evenly covered my hands and ran it through her hair to help hold the curl.
Using the technique of wrapping the hair around the wand flat and not twisting the hair before wrapping it, I started on the right side of my moms face and worked my way around the back. I alternated between wrapping some curls forward and wrapping some backwards.
Pardon my finger in this picture, but when I was finished I had these nicely shaped cylindrical curls.







I gently pulled the curls apart so they looked like they were more natural and there you have it! My mom loved it and although she would never do this for herself, I am sure she will be asking me to do this for her in the future :)
There you have it! The two things I am loving about the wands are that the curl sets quickly and the curl actually holds for longer than a few minutes! The curls stay bouncy, keep their shape, and look wonderful all day. This was never the case when using a curling iron. I am so glad that I invested the money in these. <3

Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment