Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Signature Salad- Cashew, Craisin & Goat Cheese

I love salads. No joke. Yeah I am a chubby girl, yeah everyone expects me to eat salads when I go out on a date, but I honestly love salads and finding awesome salads and then recreating them or tweaking them at home.

I went out for lunch with my mom in Downtown Fredericksburg a few months ago to this place called Tea Thyme and tried this salad... I can't remember what they called it. But I loved it so much that I bought all the ingredients and started making it for myself! I have been trying it with small changes every time and every one that I have made it for has loved it so I figured I would share.


You will need the following:
  • Spring Mix Lettuce
  • Craisins
  • Cashew Halves and Pieces
  • Goat Cheese
  • Fig Infused Vinegar (Balsamic or White are both delicious)
These are the basics for the salad and this time I added some avocado and turkey deli meat for variety.

You can put the salad together in whatever order you would like, however I find that adding the vinegar after the goat cheese and before your meat keeps it from soaking into the meat and giving it a funny texture.

First, I put anywhere from a cup to 2 cups of spring mix in a wide dish with raised edges. I take the goat cheese and crumble about 1 oz. over the top of the lettuce. Then I take about 1 oz. of cashews and crush them up and sprinkle them on the top of the salad. I also add about 1/2 oz. of Craisins at the same time.
*yes I know the photos are sideways, no matter how much I fight with blogger, I can't get them inserted correctly

Now that the basics are together, I tried something new. I took 1/4 of an avocado and put the slices on top and then I added my fig infused vinegar. I would go easy on this as it does have a ton of flavor and once mixed with the goat cheese it gets nice and creamy.


Now if you are a vegetarian, you could stop here. I, however, like some protein with my meal, so I took about 1 oz. Boar's Head honey maple turkey deli meat, tore it into pieces and put it over the top....VOILA!

I love this salad because it is light, refreshing, very healthy, colorful, and covers all the basics. It also stays with me because of the nuts and protein, so I am not hungry and hour or two later.
Some other ideas for this salad:
Try switching out fresh blueberries for the craisins. It is less tart and adds a different texture.
Try switching out fresh sliced strawberries for the craisins and walnuts for the cashews. This is much like a salad that Wendy's has (but I bet this one is healthier and cheaper).
Try switching out almonds for cashews.
Try different types of fig infused vinegar! I fell in love with one that I bought at a wine festival and have tried a ton since, all of which have been different but delicious.

Don't be afraid to be "that girl who is always eating salads". There is nothing wrong with the stereotype, especially when it tastes this good!

Jenn








No comments:

Post a Comment