Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Miss Jessie's Original for Curly Hair

I received a sample of Miss Jessie's Quick Curls in my August Birchbox and I was intrigued so I went to their website. I found that they have 2 samples that can be shipped to you for free so I ordered Creme de la Creme Conditioner and Pillow Soft Curls. I was super surprised that the samples are so huge! I can see why they keep a record of your IP address so you can't order more (yes, I tried to get more).

I tried Creme de la Creme Conditioner first and since I didn't get Creme de la Curl Shampoo, I used Organix Moroccan Oil Shampoo instead. I ended up using the entire packet to cover my hair evenly. This has a nice clean smell, like laundry.  I was hoping less of the product would go further so I could try this conditioner twice. I left the conditioner in my hair while I finished my shower, so about 10 minutes. When I rinsed it out, my hair had a wonderful texture. It felt thick, soft, and not oily.

Then I got my packet of Pillow Soft Curls out. I was really excited about this product because this is the one that I always look for but its sold out. I put a little over a quarter sized amount in my hand.....and it smells like straight chemicals :( Yuck. Such a disappointment. I slathered the stuff in my hair careful to cover every inch, from the root to the tip.  Then I broke out the diffuser....


I have no idea how to do this correctly, so on the picture in the left my hair is still wet. I diffuse my hair on the hot and high settings. When my curls start to take some shape and hold their own, I switch it to low so it doesn't blow the delicate curls into fluffy little messes. I stop when my hair feels dry, even though I know it is not, it ends but being just a tad damp when it cools off. So I let it air dry as I continue to scrunch it until its dry all the way through.


















It did not take long to get the curls to set and to dry. Usually it takes forever, but I think the Pillow Soft Curls helped with the dry time. The curls were, as it says on the bottle, large and relaxed, and they are soft and not crunchy. Unfortunately, they still had a chemical smell :(

It was rainy and humid today, so I guess it was a good choice to go curly. The curls held well. I dried my hair around noon and when I got home from school at around 11 pm they were still curly and bouncy. My hair did go a little flat though. I think the sheer weight of my hair just weighs it down but since this stuff stays a little malleable it was easy enough to flip over and shake some volume back into it. It does leave a little bit of a residue on your hands if you touch your hair at all (and I have a habit of playing with it) but my hair did not get frizzy at all. The curls stayed separated and the shapes stayed nice and round. While driving home from class I started humming the tune to Rick Springfield's "Jessie's Girl" but the words in my head were "I wish I had Miss Jessie's Curls!" ha ha ha, I guess that proves how exhausted I am.

I will up date this when I can use the Quick Curls product sample I got from my Birchbox again with a diffuser but for my air dry review you can check here and its the fourth product down.

Jenn

2 comments:

  1. I ordered a couple of free samples from the site, and I loved the Pillow Soft Curls! I'm surprised you didn't like the smell though. Everyone in the house thought that I had rubbed dryer sheets all over my body! lol! They thought I smelled like a fresh load of laundry! I do love how it holds my curls without me having to use a bunch of hair spray or mousse (which dries my hair out so bad)! I definitely will be buying more of this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you didn't mind the smell! The product does an awesome job with making soft curls, but the smell just is not for me. The Creme de la Creme smelled like laundry to me!

      Delete