Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Pinterest Test: Two Ingredient Pumpkin Muffins

I really should not go on Pinterest when I am freaking starving from doing one of these goofy diets I should be smart enough not to try. But alas, I do and then I pin a bunch of things to make when I have the motivation.

Tonight's test- 2 ingredient pumpkin muffins. I know why these "2 ingredient" recipes catch my interest. They come off as super easy and there is always someone who claims that it is delicious and, not to mention, this one boasted that each muffin was going to be under 100 calories! So I jumped on board. What the hell, right?

I gathered my ingredients:
  • One box of yellow cake mix (this is all I had)
  • One giant can of pumpkin puree
  • pumpkin pie spice
  • pyure sweetner packets
(Blogger and I are fighting again because the damn thing won't import my pictures the way they are in my computer :D)

I emptied the cake mix into a glass bowl, knowing that I was going to have problems with this mix from the get-go. I know better than to substitute things when I try these recipes. Like when I used a Coke Zero in my Diet Coke Brownie... yeah, I know better. I forged on, figuring it couldn't be that bad. I scooped out about 10 ounces of the pumpkin puree and then I eyeballed the pumpkin pie spice and tossed in 2 packets of pyure sweetener.....well, I don't know why I put that in but it couldn't hurt, right?
About 25 minutes later, and at 350 degrees, these little things were ready to pull out of the oven. They smelled amazing, were a little dense, but were cooked all the way through. I put them on a plate to cool for a bit while I washed all the dishes I had dirtied cooking this......just kidding! My mother did the dishes :) LOL

My mom got one of these muffins off the plate before they had cooled completely so I asked her opinion. Sadly she said they smelled better than they tasted. My heart was broken. I snagged one and pulled off a piece to try for myself, and she was right. Shit. Yet another 2-ingredient recipe blunder.

Not to be deterred, I covered these things with press n' seal wrap and saved them for breakfast. They have got to be better first thing in the morning paired with some eggs and bacon, right?


So the next morning I woke up, made some eggs with cheese, pre-cooked Boar's Head bacon, and some grapefruit and grabbed one of these little guys. I sliced it in half, sprayed 2-3 spritzes of spray butter on each half and crisped it in the skillet. HUGE IMPROVEMENT!
 
The muffins were saved, my brother ate one and liked it (huge surprise there) and I got some pumpkin into my diet. It was a good morning, and I may actually decide to make these again.....ya know.....the right way with a box of Duncan Hines yellow cake mix ;)
 
Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment